Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Official Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Beginners Maze Making Tutorial

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 8:45 am

In this thread I will be teaching you how to start making a maze map.
I will be using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/ as a constant reference for the triggers as their pastebin is very useful.
I will not be going into detail on what leaks, As this is not important when you are just learning, just depressing.
If you have questions or comments you can reply here and I will get back to you when I can.

Tutorial Summary: This should help you get a basic understanding and knowledge of the world editor, and get you started with making your very own map.

//===== Setup =====//

The very first thing you need to do, Is open world editor and go to file (Located on the top left) and in the dropdown menu, Select "New Map".
A common map size is 128 x 128, You may use bigger or smaller to your liking.
You can select a tileset you want, Note that the tile you select will be the one tile all over the map, So you may want to select the "evil" tile for your maze here.
Put out a nice little patch of terrain and place starting locations in the Unit Palette. (If you do not have one open or close it, This can be found in the toolbars "Window" "New Palette")
Once you have done that, It is time to set up the player properties and force properties, So click on "Scenario" and then click on "Player Properties".
Set them all to user, Except for brown. Set brown to a computer, Then check the boxes for all the players labeled "Fixed starting location"
Alright, Now you have a map set up for 12 players...Go into Scenario once again and click on "Force Properties".
Once you are in Force Properties, Check both boxes located near the top left "Use Custom Forces" and "Fixed Player Settings" and then go down to the bottom left, and click on "Add Force".
Now Drag the "Player 12" with the big brown block next to into force 2. (Optional: Re-name the forces to your liking to display a different name in the game lobby)
Okay, Now next you may want to give your map a name, Right? So once again go into scenario, This time click on "Map Description".
From there it is pretty self-explanatory, Also you may go back into Scenario yet again and change the "Loading Screen" to your liking if you wish.

Great! Now you're map is set-up description-wise and player wise!
Now, Prepare to learn, Because I can gurantee you this will not always be fun, And it gets tedious. (Tip: Throw bricks at WE when it does not work ((Soul)) )

//===== Initialization =====//

//=====(Scroll to bottom for more info on variables)=====//

I'll start with explaining the maps initialization, Firstly you will need to create the units if the player is playing, clearing up any useless triggers removing units if the player is not.
And you will need a Visibility modifier, Whether it being "Across Playable Map Area" or a specified region as I will demonstrate with.

The finished version of the trigger --> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/38f693bfc4bef4a8c1d3b1c9ca60385f/ <--

Now, To explain a bit about that and where to find the things.

The very first trigger is a "Player Group" action. So click new action and scroll down to "Player Group" in the action type.
It should be the very first trigger in the "Player Group" section.
Next you need to create the Visibility trigger, So do the same thing but this time scroll to "Visibility" way down there at the bottom.
Then you are going to want to go to "Create Visibility Modifier Region".
Now, leave the first blue text as "Enabled" and skip to the second one, "Player 1 (Red)" and go to "Function:" and it should already have "Picked Player" selected, if not select it and get on with your life. (Click OK).
Next you need to leave the "Visibility" as is, and go to "Across (Playable map area)", leave it as this if you want the whole map to be revealed.
If you want it to be across a region, click on it and go into "Variable:" and select which region, or hit "Select a Region" and click the region. (Make sure it's the one you want!)

Ok! We are finally past the visibility modifier!
Now, Go into new action and use the second dropdown bar, and find "For Each Integer A, Do multiple actions" and click ok.
Under the "If - Conditions" Use a new condition "Player Slot Status Comparison".
You will need to find "Conversion - Convert Player Index To Player" and under "Function:" use "For Loop Integer A" and that's that, it's done for all players specified (1 to 11 for 11 players 1 to 10 for 10..etc)
Make sure it is Equal To, Is Playing.
Configure a New Unit Action, It is the first action under the unit section. Create your unit of choice and do the same thing as before, for (Player((IntegerA))) at a random point, center of a region, wherever you want it to be.
You need to create a variable of type Unit, now. Tick the "Array" box and set it to size 11 (Assuming you have 11 players).
Then "Set Variable" yourvar to last created unit. <-- this is key for a simple revive
Selection is optional, But it helps. You are going to want to select unit for player, Select your unitarray[(integer A)] for (Player((Ineteger A)))

//===== Regions =====//

Ok, For regions, this is pretty simple, Just outline the path of your maze with regions and from there configure the actions "A unit enters regions" in the events.
then do "unit - Kill unit"
Don't forget the Unit-Type Comparison condition so unit type of entering unit is equal to Demon Hunter (Or whatever unit you use).
--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/02c6892a58e6892a85e72a2e89b89b3f/ <--

//===== Patrols =====//

Now for Patrols and unit creation, This is one of the simplest parts of your map.
Simply place a region where you want the unit to start and think back to the unit creation in the init, the very first trigger under "unit".
Now, Create it where you want it...
Now go down in "Unit" And Issue order targetting a point, Order (Last created unit) to Patrol To Point (Your region you want them to patrol to)
I told you it was simple Smile

--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/bdc1d069d835e15d8b6efd3cbbace24b/ <--

//===== Multi-Patrols =====//

Ok, So now that you have learned to do patrols, you may want to do something a little more creative and use multiple points that a unit patrols to.
This actually takes a few triggers to do...It is pretty self explanatory with what you have learned up until now, So let's see if you can figure this one out by look at the triggers!
I made a basic one that just goes in a square, as an example.
--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/1d5ae1221115956c9845930fd596466e/ <--

//===== End of Levels =====//

Once again, Back to "Unit Enters Region" but now it gets a little bit more difficult...
If you are doing heroes with abilities, I suggest you add the level up. It is under the "Hero" section of the actions.
Now, For each integer a, do multiple actions. (1 to 11, for 11 players (( You remember how this goes right?)) and bleh)
This is one of the reasons you set the Units to the UnitArray!
Kill the UnitArray[(Integer A)] and wait 2.00 seconds or so, And go back under the "Hero" actions, and revive the UnitArray at the region you want, hiding or showing revival graphics.
Be sure that the revive and kill is in the integer loop, and the levelup outside of the loop

--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/9c2dc2cf09b97540e825ff3e4ffc9346/ <--

//=====Player Lose=====//=====Challenge=====//

Ok, So as every tutorial should...This one ends in a challenge. It is pretty simple, You need one variable of type boolean(leave it default). Now this is yor only hint, Use it wisely.
Take what you have learned, and see if you can put your trigger together to look like mine!

--> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/pastebin/show/1b5c6a442f6004b423af2fc4c60e325b/ <--

//=====Variable Information=====//

The Variable editor is located inside the trigger editor, It is a yellow X icon (Shortcut Ctrl + B).
Open this and click on "New Variable" (The Green X with the little + sign) or press Ctrl + N (Shortcut).
I don't want to go into heavy detail on variables, So I will just explain a little bit...
Variables are key to any great map. To remove leaks, Make things easier and more efficient.
Now, Name your variable at "Variable Name:" and choose the variable type "unit". Click on the "array" box under the variable type, and Put the number of User players as the value. (11 players, Array size = 11, 10 players, Array size = 10, etc.)
I think that's about all you need o know for now!

Important Disclaimer!!

This tutorial was intended to get you going on working a map and familiarize yourself with the world editor, I by all means do NOT recommend creating a full map this way!
If you do, You will have very very many LEAKS! In essence you will have a nice long black screen of doom after exiting the game!
I believe Elmo will be making a tutorial on things that leak, So please check for if that tutorial is made and READ IT before you release a map!

Edit: Elmo has made the tutorial, Go here and read it before you release a map! https://clantdom.darkbb.com/submissions-f6/memory-leaks-t14.htm

!!remialcsiD tnatropmI

One last thing, I may be making an advanced maze making tutorial in the future so you may want to check that out as well so you can make the map without leaks..As far as GUI goes without leaks.

Good luck!!

Last edited by TDoM-M_Odin on Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Avatar
Peon
Peon
TDoM-M_Avatar

Number of posts : 69

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

OK so about the park where it is initilization im confused cause it says this right here *((Player((Integer A))) slot status) Equal to Is playing* and i cant find it when im looking for it!!! Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Quote :
Under the "If - Conditions" Use a new condition "Player Slot Status Comparison".
You will need to find "Conversion - Convert Player Index To Player" and under "Function:" use "For Loop Integer A" and that's that, it's done for all players specified (1 to 11 for 11 players 1 to 10 for 10..etc)

It is a condition, You need to go into it and instead of Player 1 (Red) slot status equal to is playing, Change the "Player 1 (Red)" and go into it and under "Function:" do as it says in the tutorial, Using "Conversion - Convert Player Index To Player" blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Avatar
Peon
Peon
TDoM-M_Avatar

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:40 pm

>.< Yea ok thanks i still dont get it T_T
lol!
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:47 pm

Ok, First you need to create a "if / then / else, multiple functions" trigger inside your "for each ineger a,do multiple acions" loops. It is actally kind of simple once you get the hang of it, Just create them both and you should be understanding how it goes in no time if you look at my trigger. Just drag them to move triggers around btw.
I hope his helps! -Apple
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Avatar
Peon
Peon
TDoM-M_Avatar

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 pm

Well ok then this is a little harder than i thought it would be
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Welcome to the world of mapmaking, Avatar!
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Avatar
Peon
Peon
TDoM-M_Avatar

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm

[quote="TDoM-M_Odin"]Ok, First you need to create a "if / then / else, multiple functions" trigger inside your "for each ineger a,do multiple acions" loops.
LOL I hAD 2 OF THEM
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:45 pm

You stole my sig..Now i gotta get a new one...Oh well. Anyways...Yes, double what you need = bad...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginners Maze Making Tutorial   Beginners Maze Making Tutorial Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginners Maze Making Tutorial
Page 1 of 1