Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Official Forums

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Tutorial Submissions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Demo
Chieftain
Chieftain
Demo

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-22

New Tutorial Submissions Empty
PostSubject: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 am

Although it's highly unlikely, there are instances in which multiple members of sites create tutorials on the same (or similar) subjects at the same time and minimize their effectiveness. To prevent that (and also give people something to anticipate), I want anyone interested in creating a new tutorial to please post as much information on it as possible here. Please include at least a topic and general concept, preferably specifics and an expected completion time. Additionally, if you see a tutorial that you believe you may assist on (or have already started) you may inform the poster that you wish to help/cooperate with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.icanhascheezburger.com
Elmo
Site Master
Site Master

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:38 am

TDoM-M_Odin wrote:
In this thread I will be teaching you how to start making a maze map.
I will be using http://www.hiveworkshop.com/ as a constant reference for the triggers as their pastebin is very useful.
I will not be going into detail on what leaks, As this is not important when you are just learning, just depressing.
If you have questions or comments you can reply here and I will get back to you when I can.

Start Date: Friday, July 25th, 2008.
Tutorial Summary: This should help you get a basic understanding and knowledge of the world editor, and get you started with making your very own map.
Finish Date: Expected Saturday, July 26th, 2008.

Demo, I'm going to make it like other sites and have tutorial submission. If it's approved, we move it to the tutorial section [where now only admins/shamans will be able to post]. Please note that all shamans are also moderators, so they can help approve/disapprove tutorials, etc. I don't really care as long as the tutorials don't teach bad things or incorrect things.
Back to top Go down
http://www.clantdom.darkbb.com
Demo
Chieftain
Chieftain
Demo

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:35 am

I was actually going to talk to you about that very thing, but I thought it'd be kinda silly until we have a large user base. If our forums ever get big enough (doubtable, but who knows?), we should make a public-access tutorial area with a disclaimer saying that we do not monitor the tutorials (beyond the standard regulations of the forums) submitted there, then create a separate, "official" section for approved tutorials.
Back to top Go down
Elmo
Site Master
Site Master

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 5:34 pm

That's basically what the submission section will be. Razz If people want to read un-approved tutorials, they can go ahead and hop on into the submission section. Very Happy
You have admin access, so if you feel renaming submissions to unapproved tutorials or something necessary, go on right ahead. Just notify me of any changes.
Back to top Go down
Demo
Chieftain
Chieftain
Demo

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:22 am

As everyone knows (okay, they probably don't), my biggest problem with maps is their...playing environment. Much like an F2P MMO, what makes a great maze is not just the aesthetic and original quality of it, but the core triggers that make up how the maze works. It seems maps tend to be a bit sloppy these days...

Well, I am here to remedy any potential of this occurring in future mazes produced by our clan members. I am going to begin working on a tutorial that will explain many techniques to create a better mazing environment, ranging from simple reviving triggers (reviving units uniformly instead of in a lump or randomly throughout a region), to applying locust to enemy units and heroes alike. I will produce a quick list later on detailing what will be included within the tutorial (also I'm expecting smartass Trevor to give me a bunch of ideas too) and begin production once I finish the core of our clan management script.
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 3:37 am

Sounds great, Demo. I look forward to the hero locust trigger, Which I could probably manage to do myself.
(But it would be horrible, excessive, inefficeint).
Back to top Go down
Elmo
Site Master
Site Master

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 am

TDoM-M_Odin wrote:
Sounds great, Demo. I look forward to the hero locust trigger, Which I could probably manage to do myself.
(But it would be horrible, excessive, inefficeint).

Heroes can't have locust.

Ever played a ladder match with crypt lord? Can you select the locusts? No. You can't. Even if you own them.

What you do is you modify the selection circle size for the hero, making it -1 (I believe, I've never done this myself).
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 am

The noob way is making a permanently invisible one, Controlling the see-able "locusted" unit.
Making the "locusted" one move to the ordered points the "invisible" or hidden one.
Back to top Go down
Demo
Chieftain
Chieftain
Demo

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 am

You give the hero locust then create, kill, revive, and select via the init trig. Then you control the death-spawn trigger separately. The only hard part is ensuring that the selection remains consistent. Feck up the selection once and the player will never be able to select their hero.
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 am

Demo wrote:
You give the hero locust then create, kill, revive, and select via the init trig. Then you control the death-spawn trigger separately. The only hard part is ensuring that the selection remains consistent. Feck up the selection once and the player will never be able to select their hero.

Aww, Sad.
Back to top Go down
Elmo
Site Master
Site Master

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Demo wrote:

Exactly why I don't use it. Razz
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm

Because you would feck the selection up forever?
Back to top Go down
Demo
Chieftain
Chieftain
Demo

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 am

Quote :
Exactly why I don't use it. Razz

Right...because it's so hard to make sure you select the hero each time you move it or kill it? I would way rather do that than have to click on all of your allies.
Back to top Go down
TDoM-M_Odin
Grunt
Grunt
TDoM-M_Odin

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 am

Demo wrote:

Right...because it's so hard to make sure you select the hero each time you move it or kill it? I would way rather do that than have to click on all of your allies.

Exactly, Because we all know clicking your allies gets in the way....And so do those giant nametags! *cough* 100 rounds *cough*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Tutorial Submissions   New Tutorial Submissions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Tutorial Submissions
Page 1 of 1